Harsonic Ultrasound Cleaning Systems
“Ultrasound Bio-film Cleaning reduces Operational Costs significantly”
ECOLOGICAL SOLUTIONS FOR BIO-FILM
WHAT IS HARSONIC?
Harsonic® is the leader in a mechanical system using ultrasound to remove bio-film and prevents all types of fouling in pipes, filters, heat exchangers, etc.
Using ultrasound and HS Technology, it breaks down the bio-film and prevents it from recurring. Furthermore, the installation of the Harsonic Modules is remarkably easy and the purchase of the Harsonic® device is a one-time cost without further additional maintenance.
Bio-film causes a number of obstructions, viz.
- Attachment of micro-organisms, fouling, limestone formation, biological growth
- Clogging or blocking of pipes, filters, etc.
- Corrosion of walls: anaerobic bacteria form sulphide by-products, which are corrosive
- An insulating layer that forms on heat-exchange systems, reducing the cooling effect and therefore the efficiency of the system
- Organic acids, causing a decrease in pH
- Oxygen deficiency in the system
WHAT IS BIO-FILM?
Bio-film is the cause of many fouling problems. The slimy, sticky stuff which has been studied by many scientists is the very first stage of fouling. Trapped within the bio-film are micro-organisms, which are resistant to standard disinfection processes, because the bio-film actually protects the micro-organisms from being destroyed.
Harsonic® developed a unique and very powerful device, which removes bio-film.
This means that micro-organisms can no longer attach or multiply. If there is a wet surface, there can be bio-film. This can be on ship hulls in tubes of heat-exchangers, in pipelines, drinking lines, in tanks, in spas, etc.
Harsonic® has a different device programmed differently for all these applications. The main thing is to combat the bio-film! Conventional methods of microbial control have proven inadequate, so the best way to combat bio-film is preventative.
Don’t let bio-film get started. That is exactly what Harsonic® prevents.
HOW DOES HARSONIC WORK?
Harsonic has developed an improved ultrasonic transducer for distributing ultrasound, using the HS technique (own development)
Harsonic works on 4 levels:
- Removal of the slimy layer (bio-film), i.e.
a. Preventing the attachment of micro-organisms
b. Preventing the development of bacteria
c. Reducing rust, scale, etc.
- Killing of algae by breaking their vacuoles
(Vacuole - A membrane bound cavity within a cell often containing a watery liquid or secretion)
- Killing of larvae before they are 10 days old
- Killing of one-cellular organisms - harmless for water plants
BIO-FILM REMOVAL WITHOUT CHEMICALS
During the past years Harsonic® specialized in permanent removal of bio-film in several applications, without chemicals.
This means simultaneously saving on maintenance, costs and the environment.
Currently there is a range of 10 different Harsonic® devices available:
- Harsonic® for Boat Hulls
- Harsonic® for Propellers
- Harsonic® for Diesel Fuel Tanks
- Harsonic® for Water Tanks
- Harsonic® for Box Coolers
- Harsonic® for Cooling Towers & Heat Exchangers
- Harsonic® for Industrial Tanks & Filters
- Harsonic® for Industrial Pipelines
- Harsonic® for Agricultural Tanks & Pipelines
- Harsonic® for Open Water Storage
Such applications require a high degree of engineering sophistication and precision manufacturing capability. Innovations made by our own engineers will outperform similar products.
APPLICATION EXAMPLES IN MINING
Prevention of Scale and Lime at Steel Works (Germany)
Prevention of Filters clogging in a Gold Mine (Finland)
10 TIMES LESS MAINTENANCE ON FILTERS AND PIPELINES
RETURN ON INVESTMENT ROI = 5.2 HOURS
Prior to the change-over to Harsonic, the disadvantage of the former process was the clogging of the filters in the 6 C.I.L tanks. The tanks are 8 meters high and 4 meters in diameter.
The slurry in the tanks, consisting of a mixture of water, sand, carbon, cyanide and gold, is run from tank to tank to separate the gold. This is the final stage of the gold separation process.
Due to clogging, the filters had to be cleaned approx. twice per week. This resulted in an interruption of the process and required a substantial amount of labour hours.
BENEFITS IN A GOLD MINE
Savings on processing efficiency
– No need to stop the process for cleaning (approximately twice per week). With Harsonic in place, cleaning of the filters will only be required every ±5 weeks. This results in a running time of 10 times longer.
– With Harsonic, actual cleaning time has practically been eliminated. Previously, washing of the filters took many hours per week.
Save the environment
– Reducing the amount of washing, reduces the amount of chemicals used and will run the process more efficiently.
SOME APPLICATION EXAMPLES IN INDUSTRY
Solutions for Bacteria and Odour in a Paper Factory (Holland)
Treatment of Water Tanks and Pipelines with Harsonic in combination with positive organisms (Health)
Food Industry Lime and Rust in Pipe Lines (Belgium)
Various Transducers available for different applications:
Treatment of Cooling Towers (University Case Study)
A Bio-film Monitor (indicated by the Red Blocks on the two diagrams) has been installed in a bi-pass pipe fitted to the condenser entrances of the respective cooling towers KT1 and KT3. The monitor consisted of a transparent pipe in which 30 polycarbonate rings have been placed. The towers became completely clean (even from rust & lime). No more chemicals were required thereafter!!
Harsonic is capable of controlling bio-film and associated planktonic bacteria. With this method a stable level is reached which remains constant over time. A complete study is available on the website www.harsonic.com.
Harsonic can prevent:
- Clogging or blocking of pipes, filters, etc. in new or recently cleaned installations.
- Further clogging or blocking of pipes, filters, etc. in existing installations by gradually removing Bio-film.
- Corrosion on walls (anaerobic bacteria form corrosive sulphide by-products)
- An isolation layer being formed on heat-exchange systems, causing the cooling system to no longer function efficiently, with resultant increases in operating costs.
- Organic acids being formed, causing a decrease in PH
- An Oxygen deficiency being created in the system.
- Assist with the treatment of Process water
- Increase plant efficiency,
- Maintain a Healthy Environment
- Maintain operating Plant Efficiency
- Permanently remove bio-film without chemicals
- Reduce and/or prevent Bio-film formation
- Reduce Bacteria
- Reduce Clogging of Filters & Pipelines
- Reduce Lime, Rust & Scale
- Reduce Maintenance and Labour
- Reduce operating costs
- Reduce Plant Power consumption
- Reduce the use of Chemicals
- Save on Maintenance costs
Harsonic Ultrasound Cleaning Systems